Tuesday 26 May 2009

Evaluation

During this project I feel I have successfully gained knowledge into semiotics and some of the main theories surrounding it. I have been able to include specific details about theories from Saussure and Peirce, and compare these to today’s modern theories. I also think I have managed to look in detail at other areas of semiotics such as modality and codes which branch away from my original research. I feel I have a good understanding of the material that I have written about and have also been able to apply that knowledge when looking at my chosen game.

Having invested time properly researching Little Big Planet I have been able to identify some of the obvious and less obvious signs in the game. I feel I have been able to analyse a variety of areas in the game including characters, signs and objects used in game.

Throughout the blog the layout is neat and professional and with the aid of pictures I have been able to make the blog aesthetically pleasing as well as informative. I have successfully taken advantage of the interactivity of the blog, which is shown with the use of a video.

I would have liked to have had more time to look into further areas of semiotics and apply that knowledge to Little Big Planet also. I feel that I would like to look more into the objects used in game and some of the scenery including how the dangerous objects in game are represented. I would also enjoy being able to study the NPC’s more looking at how they fit into their surroundings and the way that even the ‘good’ ones seem to be unattractive, which, in media is usually a negative sign.

To progress further I will increase my knowledge of semiotics, looking at some of the modern theories and also into areas such as textural interactions. I would also like to learn more about codes as I feel I didn’t get to read into this subject as much as I wanted to.

No comments:

Post a Comment